Saturday, May 2, 2009

You Must Stick to Your Rules to Succeed

Some times you think you know it all!

Over the last seven weeks I have been keeping an eye on a property for sale in a town next to me. I wrote an article about it as being for private sale by owner. I did contact the owner enquiring about the property and the purchase price. At the time I thought the price was too high for the current market. So I let it go.

About one week ago I was doing a delivery for my company past this property and I noticed two agent?s signs in the front yard. There was a lady in the front yard doing some tidying up, so I decided to stop and quiz her about the property. I had only talked to her on the phone previously regarding the price.

I went through the property and thought it had potential for a vendor?s terms deal. While I was going through the property I was mentally structuring a suitable deal that would suit the both of us. All through that I had misgivings about ripping the old lady off. She seemed to be a sweet old dear. She said that she had to sell so she could buy a new unit that was being built now. It was due for completion in six weeks.

I knew then and there, there was no way she was going to sell her property in time to be able to pay for her new unit. It was obvious she had not allowed enough time to sell her house. What was going to happen was, the unit would be ready and she would not be able to pay for it as she would not have sold her home.

As I was going through the home I was putting together a vendor finance deal in my head for this ladies property. I asked the lady if she would consider taking the property off the market and dealing directly with me. I wanted her to be able to get out of her home and be able to buy into the unit. That way we would have a win/win situation. What I wanted was to buy this property with none of my own money. But unfortunately for me the deal did not stack up. The figures were not right for me to proceed with the deal. So I had to walk away from it.

Ten days later I was talking to a local agent and he said he had the property sold for five thousand under her asking price five weeks prior, but the lady rejected the offer. No longer did I feel for her, she had her chance. This brings back one of my golden rules, Fall in love with the deal, not the property?

Also while I was talking to the local agent we were talking about some local developments. He mentioned about some units being built in another part of town. As it turns out there is a house for sale right along side this block of units. It is suitable for four units on the block. The house needs major work, so it will need to be removed to make way for a unit development.

Another thing I started to see was I tried to cut the agent out of the original deal. This goes against all I believe in. They are part of your team. The agent is on the spot with all the latest developments, this one proved that to me with the unit development site. I think that you must stick to your rules at all times. That way you can always go back and do another deal with them at a later stage. This can be a hard lesson to learn. But it is worth it. As you can see I have found this out.

To your investing success,

Leo Love
www.therealestateinvester.com
PS: If any of your family or friends is interested please pass this on to themI am an experienced and passionate investor. I buy properties that will give me capital growth and cash flow. My website offers helpful tips and ideas for any type of investor to help you with your wealth creation. Using my site will help to prevent you falling into the traps the inexperienced investors do.

No comments: