Friday, September 19, 2008

Growing up is Optional

A recent poll in England on people approaching retirement age revealed that over 50% were considering retiring to a warmer country. Spain was by far the first choice of destinations. Economics were the first reasons cited, with climate and pace of life following.

There is no way to identify from initial enquiries what age the person is, but not too much land, easy access to shops as requirements are good indicators, plus the ?old give away? better spelling and formal use of grammar in emails! I am still often surprised by them when we finally meet in the office. Most of them are very positive and well informed on the implications of their move, with knowledge of the systems for retiring here ie pensions and health care issues. Some comments made by this group once they have settle, are lovely ?????

He was easier to live with, when he was out to work all day

I see more of my children and grandchildren since moving here!

I always wanted time for a hobby, now I have so many hobbies it?s like full time work again (was this comment a moan or bragging?).

It?s true, the more you have to do the more you achieve (well not in this office!)

The days in Spain are so much shorter. (This comment still makes me smile.)

What does it feel like being retired in Spain? (I will let them know in a good few years, a quick look in the mirror confirms a tired look, must get an early night!)

When I was in my late teens an elderly French woman living opposite my flat befriended me. Softly spoken, very independent and proud she invited me into her home. I was fascinated with her life story and wisdom. On the subject of age her accented voice I can still hear. ?Don?t dust the mirrors too often?; ?soft lighting will put you and your guests at ease.? ?If there is nothing to laugh about use your memory to go back to a funny moment?. ?Don?t stop eating what you like as you get older; be grateful you have the choice?. ?Worry not about tomorrow, just hope that it comes?. There were many pearls of wisdom this eighty something lady offered me. Less than a quarter of her age, I did not understand their importance but her most often used line was, live each day with the person you love as though it is the last one you will have together. As I get older I see that time is precious, this point has started to be relevant. So all those things I have always wanted to do I plan to achieve soon, as later may just be too late!

The short email a friend sent a few weeks ago has prime place on my desk Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. Laughing at yourself is therapeutic.

Finally, I came across this abbreviation S.K.I in an article about retirement. Spending the Kids Inheritance. Yes this feels good??????Sorry Darling, but Mum and Dad are just enjoying life now! The house is all yours, including the sand, cement and bricks it you want to finish it.

One in five British - nearly 10m adults - are considering leaving the country amid growing disillusionment over the failure of political parties to deliver tax cuts, according to a new poll by ICM.

No comments: